Sunday, July 17, 2011

Been a While

So... I know I haven't blogged in a while. Sorry about that. It isn't because I haven't had anything to say. It's just that things got busy. :) Thanks for understanding.  Now, where were we? Oh yeah, last time we talked I was telling you about St. Louis..... (key goofy harp music)

We left St.Louis in the late morning on Monday the 27th of June. Our next destination was Ft.Riley  Kansas. The thing I remember most about that particular drive was all the Oz "stuff" we saw in gas stations. And since the weather wasn't great, I kept hoping not to see any tornadoes (with one eye peeled- just in case).

Why were we headed to Kansas? One of our oldest friends, Dan, lives there with his wonderful wife Shannon and their little boy, Brenden. San's stationed there with the army.Since we haven't seen them since Bella and Brenden were less than a year old, we were anxious to catch up. And since we were "passing through" Kansas on our way to New Mexico, a stop seemed serendiptious.

We stayed in Kansas til Friday morning. During this time, the kids played ALOT, the grownups played a bit, and a good time was had by all. We took the kids to playgrounds and to see Cars 2- Brenden's first movie at a movie theater. Bella was fascinated by baby Charlie- currently in Shannon's tummy. heehee We even lit a few fireworks on their back patio. It was a really nice, really relaxing time. 

I learned a few things I didn't know about Kansas. It's very hilly! I expected it to be totally flat (dont ask me why). And the wind never seems to stop blowing. Since the temperatures got over 100 degrees while we were there, I definitely didn't mind the wind.

I was nervous that being there for that long would be a bit rough on the grownups. But it wasn't. We had a great time- and when we had to reload the van and continue on our way, all the Shimers were sad to wave bye to the Lewandowskis. I think I could've been happy to stay for another week.

sights from the road- the cone lady cracked us up- and so did the bear in the little helicopter


Brenden catching bugs to put in the bug house his friend had

Rick's idea of catching bugs

Dan and Rick grilling dinner


An after dinner dessert/egg hunt... Yes, the eggs had been around a bit, but it was still fun

No comments:

Post a Comment