Thursday, June 16, 2011

I didn't order a waterbed...

Everyone I tell about our roadtrip does the same thing. They look at me like I have 3 heads and then wish me well with the drive. After all, the drive is what sounds like the most difficult thing with 2 kids and a dog, right? Well, during the "leg" between Ohio and Wisconsin, the drive was definitely not the hard part.

It started to rain a few hours in. Since the part from Florida to Ohio had been so nice, we took this as well deserved. As the rain continued, we started to get a bit nervous. So I got out my handy dandy smart phone and looked up the number for Indiana Dunes States Park, where we were planning to camp for 2 nights. A "ranger" who sounded about 12 said she hadn't seen any rain in hours and thought the sky looked fine. Just to reinforce that good news, a break in the clouds and a glimpse of the sun soon calmed us down.

Until about 30 minutes from arrival. Then the drizzle kicked back in. We arrived at the park in the drizzle, but it was already slacking off. So we went ahead and got the tent and sleeping bags set up.

Then we headed for the giant Outdoor World we saw on the interstate. It was a fantastic way to kill time while we waited for the rain to let up. This place had an indoor waterfall and a kids shooting range with those little lights you aim up. Perfect way to stay dry!

After an hour at Outdoor World we were ready to grill. But the rain was still purin'! So, we improvised. There was this amazing covered pavillion with a huge fireplace in one wall near the camp sites. We took our little cookstove and food there. We had a blast! The sky lightened up and we walked over to Lake Michigan before we used the fireplace for s'mores. You all know me, so you know at this point I am breaking my own arm patting myself on the back. Thinking something like,"Look how well you handled this. A little rain can't slow you down!". Oh yeah, I was awesome.

On the way back to the shelter from Lake Michigan, the rain came back. We snuggled around our fire and told stories. Rick and I (at Kaya's insistence) shared childhood memories of camping. Kaya made up a story, then it was Bella's turn. It was quite memorable, so I'll share. She said"I love Mommy" after getting all of us to stop for her story. I was really moved. :)

We headed back for the tent after s'mores, still in the rain. We'll all just go to sleep together! I unzip the tent, slip the girls in as Rick locks the dog up for the night. And Kaya tells me her bed is wet. Then we realize Bella's is soaked. Yep. Our tent flaps blew up in the wind. Here it was, 10 pm, and we realize our beds are drenched. 

Hello, smartphone! Navigate to nearest hotel! Within 5 minutes we were at an Econo Lodge down the road. By 11 pm everyone was dry and snuggled in bed again.

The next day I tell Rick, you know this is going to be a great blog. He tells me I'm sick. heehee

enjoying a pitstop in downtown Sandusky Ohio. So beautiful!

The road to our campsite. The park was really picturesque.

Hanging in the window of our shelter

Checking out Lake Michigan. Kaya was awed by its size.

Our giant fireplace where we tried to wait out the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment