Monday, June 20, 2011

Wondrash Family Reunion





The Shimers left the waterslide hotel on Friday and headed for the little town of Lena, in Northern Wisconsin. My dad, stepmom, and sister flew in from Arizona to meet us. What led us to this little place? A family reunion with Dad's side of the family. Dad has 4 sisters and a brother. Do you have any idea how many spouses, kids and grandkids that means? I sure didn't.  The best headcount we had was about 55 people (all family members)- and there were a few cousins missing.

Aimee, Marcia, David, Mary Pat, Margee and Kenny

Add caption

We stayed at my Aunt Margee's house- also the location of the party. Kaya was amazed at the basement "apartment" (her words) we stayed in- I was amazed by her beautiful flowers everywhere.

There were at least 5 six year old girls running around. They all shared similar "leadership" traits. There were only a few squabbles as they adjusted to each other. Several of the parents had gotten together to rent a bounce house for the kids- and someone had the brilliant idea to get out the sprinkler. Those kids were in heaven! We spent the day watching the kids run around and laughing and talking (as we ate, of course).  It was really great, everyone was so comfortable with each other. I had several kids come to me and ask for my help, or hand me their trash, just like my own child would. One cousin explained, "They're used to us all- any adult will do." One youngster was certainly comfortable- he stopped in front of all of us and helped water the flowers. Although I could share photos (no, I didn't take them...) I think I'll leave them out. It was hilarious, though.

The aunts got out old photos around the picnic table. I got to see pictures of my grandparents, great grandparents, and all kinds of other "greats". I didn't know my great great aunt was an artist nun. I didn't realize so many people had my crooked nose (I should show the doc who swears I broke mine and dont recall it). I loved the old stories that went with the pictures.  

The main event had to be my aunt Aimee's husband Ron's firework show. He spent a few hours setting up, mortars and accessories lining the drive. The kids were setting up, too. They kept dragging their chairs around, trying to set up for the best view. It was hilarious. But once night fell, all of us were looking for a great spot. Someone spread a blanket for the kids, the rest of us pulled chairs over or sat under a tree. Bella curled up in her 16 year old cousin's lap and covered her ears.

With the first "boom" I was in awe. That had to be one of the most amazing fireworks displays I have ever seen.  It went on for an eternity- and then paused because a sudden drizzle dampened the fuses. After our intermission we went out and finished being thrilled with the lights and sounds.

I think it was after 10 before Rick and I got the girls in bed. But boy, did we have fun.

1 comment: